[lug] Intermediate Bash Programming Class

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Tue May 6 09:31:47 MDT 2014

As part of an elaborate horse-trade, I've agreed to give an
intermediate-bash-programming course at David Willson's Software Freedom
School, on the morning of Saturday, June 7, Evi Nemeth's birthday.

If you want to come, sign up here <http://www.sofree.us/?p=122239>. If you
know someone else who might, pass the word.

This is a benefit event. I've asked David Willson to return the teacher's
share to the Software Freedom School treasury to support his ongoing effort
to teach the world about free software.

David says he's charging $64 or PWYC (Pay What You Can). Only 12 seats, and
it looks to be filling quickly. 9am-1pm, followed by lunch. (Price of lunch
is included.)

Blurb follows.

--------------

The shell is my go-to programming language. It's the important
language no one ever studies.

Know any other language that lets you do "ls | wc" -- how many files are
here? -- in 5 characters? Doesn't that seem remarkable?

The shell does lots of things better than any other language.

My goal is to help you pull yourself from knowing enough to get by, to
thinking of the shell as one of your primary tools.

I'll assume the basics that are taught in introductory Linux user-level or
sysadmin courses.  You should feel fine about '|', '>', and '<'. Basic
control-flow, like "if ... then ... fi," shouldn't be new to you. I won't
go over how to bring up a terminal window, how to use vi, what sed and awk
do, ... stuff like that.

Nor will I enumerate arcana from bizarre, little corners of the man page.
You can read the man page as well as I can. Heck, bash is open source; you
can read the code.

I will, by working through bash solutions to some interesting problems,
help you change how you think about and do shell programming.

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell], http://seejeffrun.blogspot.com [blog],