[lug] Parallella: low-power, cheap, flexible board with 16, 64, ... epiphany cores

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Wed Jul 16 20:02:45 MDT 2014

Thanks to Steve Rogers and Quentin Hartman for the follow-up links.

Thanks, Davide, for the links and insights.

Re: http://perilsofparallel.blogspot.com/2009/02/what-multicore-really-means-and.html

That guy does indeed do a "litany" on multi-core.  But I did enjoy the funny and useful comparisons essentially on why a fleet of 16 cars that go 60 mph each is not the same as a car that goes 960 mph.

You can tell why he was motivated to write up the litany from his followup post which you also linked to - he was mad about a misleading business presentation from folks that ignored his input.  A frequent motivator :)
  http://perilsofparallel.blogspot.com/2009/09/of-muffins-and-megahertz.html

I did indeed include some of their glowing marketing numbers in my post, and I thank you all for the informative responses.  But to clarify my motivations, from my perspective, parallel computing in one form or another is a big part of the future, and it is very cool to have cheap general-purpose hardware to play with and explore the possibilities.  I get the impression that the Parallella supports a number of parallell processing styles, and the cores are general-purpose enough that I can program them without re-learning a lot, so it looks fun and educational.

For me, the most interesting part of the 'what multicore really means' post was the equally opinionated and also informative rant in the comments by "anonymous"

  http://perilsofparallel.blogspot.com/2009/02/what-multicore-really-means-and.html?showComment=1238239200000#c7290536757386895922

who makes some interesting points (along with the venting) about the utility of multiple cores for gaming and exploring other new ways to use computing power:

 "....there is one application that seems core hungry beyond even 4 cores- namely the only type of application that uses the full power of most people's systems, computer games"

 "In the REAL world, computer games drive [[a great deal of PC hardware development]]"

 'If the argument is that multi-core is a problem, because non-game apps rarely benefit, people in the real-world say "what are these non-game apps that need more power anyway?". As I have said above, such apps either don't exist, or rapidly find themselves moved to hardware (for example, dual-core chips were initially mostly useful for decoding hi-definition, Bluray like content, but now a small segment of the GPU on even ATI's and Nvidia's cheapest product decodes hi-def video with no CPU hit, and using far less power than a CPU solution).'...

So that all brings me back to wanting to know more about the many different styles of parallel programming, how to explore them with this new cheap prototyping platform, wondering how the epiphany chip might fit in, and what sorts of novel things people might use it for on embedded devices, phones, etc.

 "The problem with multi-core in the real world ... is that as soon as a software algorithm is developed that takes advantage of current PC CPU designs (like 3d-rasterising, or video-decoding), the algorithm is quickly baked into a standalone ASIC, providing a much cheaper and far more power efficient solution...."

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/