[lug] O'Reilly discount code

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Wed Mar 11 22:11:52 MDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-03-11 at 08:39 -0600, Davide Del Vento wrote:

> Their ebooks are indeed much better than the others.
>
> > O'Reilly is discontinuing printed books.
>
> Really? Can't believe it.

A place to live will always feel more like a home with a bookshelf full
of nicely maintained hardback books of timeless stories, knowledge,
history and ideas.

But those O'Reilly books can go.

Having a stack of old, worn soft cover books feels like baggage and
reminders of work from the past.

O'Reilly books are strongly associated with the technology they cover
and the era they're published.  Once they get old, they lose all their
value and you're just stuck with a bunch of paper and ink.

I'll keep a few early Linux books for the memories, but those copies of
"Java in a Nutshell", "Beginning Visual Basic", "Oracle 8 PL/SQL
Programming" need to be turned into 100% recycled-content Chipotle
napkins sooner than later, IMHO.

If you're like me and you're trying to navigate a future that's more
friendly to the environment, eBooks is a very positive thing.  Less raw
materials wasted, less chemicals, less fuel to ship, less to recycle,
less to landfill.  I read on an iPad Air and I read more than I ever did
with paper.

Cheers

--
Maxwell Spangler