[lug] USB flash drive mounting

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Apr 6 13:34:07 MDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-04-06 at 13:20 -0600, Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> Is that clear?  All the computers are configured identically.  I want to
> be able to set up a computer and expect that all my USB drives will be
> treated the same.  I'd like to write a script that checks if a drive is
> mounted, mount if it isn't, write some data to it, then unmount.

If the same command(s) were to be used on every computer then you just
use ssh in a loop that iterates over the remote computers.  It's not in
parallel, however.  This is a sequential process that can be run from a
single computer.

To do it in parallel you'd need a daemon that could respond to a
multicast packet with the name of the drive to mount/write.  Pretty easy
to do in C or Java (though I no longer have access to my examples). I
suppose there may already be a tool that does this but I don't know what
it is.
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>