[lug] Tracing Permission Problems

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Thu Dec 10 17:18:51 MST 2015

I don't know much a about DBUS other than having permissions issues
when launching terminals for different users from desktop shortcuts.
At one time with KDE it was necessary to do something with dbus-launch
in the desktop files. Maybe
   http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/
will get you started.

I have these running (IIRC session is for the desktop login xdm):
message+  1875     1  0 Dec09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
user1     3494     1  0 Dec09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session
/usr/bin/startxfce4
user1     3495     1  0 Dec09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 6
--print-address 8 --session

The environment has a DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS variable.

These commands are on $PATH:

dbus-binding-tool     dbus-daemon           dbus-monitor          dbus-send
dbus-cleanup-sockets  dbus-launch           dbus-run-session      dbus-uuidgen

dbus-monitor may help you find the issue or rule out dbus as the cause.