[lug] D-bus/KDE Debugging (was Tracing Permission Problems)

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sun Dec 13 13:51:32 MST 2015

It looks like there is a bug which is probably D-bus or its configuration on Fedora 23 itself. However, I'm not sure if I report this as a Fedora 23 bug or a D-bus bug.

It turns out that under KDE spin of Fedora 23 there are many applications (such as gimp, inkscape, and kicad) which all fail with unset tool tip text color during mouse hover-over...these all display white text on white background, but all work correctly if I first su to myself or sudo as myself (or any other user). Looking at the dbus-monitor I can see things like failure to check "~/.local/share/applications/kicad.desktop" for non-sudo failed tool tip text, along with a lot of other irrelevant checks which just don't even occur if I first su to myself (like http and completely irrelevant strings when starting the app without sudo). The failed logs are large in comparison with a very short dbus-monitor log for the working version.

So my question is this...for reporting purposes is it a Fedora 23 bug for configuration scripts which are not part of D-bus? Or is it a D-bus problem? Or do I report it as a bug to both Fedora and D-bus? It just seems like its a good way to get the bug ignored, but learning new applications is mostly pointless without the help text. My workaround is going through the KDE menus and editing to run everything with symptoms as sudo myself...that's a pretty bad workaround.

Thanks!