[lug] SRC: Single-file VCS

Tyler Cipriani tyler at tylercipriani.com
Wed Jan 27 20:57:11 MST 2016

I'm curious how many folks are still using RCS, even for the nominal use-case:
having version controlled files in a directory that is not entirely under
version control?

In Automating System Administration with Perl there is a section about
keeping files in /etc/ under RCS[0]; however, solutions like EtcKeeper[1]
(or possibly Gnu Stow[2]) may have largely supplanted that RCS solution.
Even a .gitignore with "*" in it and using git add --force may work for
many directories.

Is RCS still a thing for folks beyond ESR and parody twitter accounts[3]?

> > I wonder how hard it'd be to hack it to use Vi instead of EMACS?

FWIW, there is an extant RCS Vim script that could probably (never used it)
work in concert with this system[4].

0. http://archive.oreilly.com/pub/a/perl/excerpts/system-admin-with-perl/five-minute-rcs-tutorial.html)
1. https://joeyh.name/code/etckeeper/
2. https://www.gnu.org/software/stow/