[lug] Systemd vs Docker, and runC, containerd, snappy etc

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Thu May 12 16:31:36 MDT 2016

I'm not sure I'll make it to the meeting tonight.  But the systemd discussion looks juicy....

And just today I ran across yet another interesting twist with that controvertial systemd software, when I wanted to try out snappy, the latest cool stuff from Ubuntu, from within the official Ubuntu Docker image.

There are serious complications in using software within Docker that rely on subsystems and daemons managed by systemd.
I ended up filing a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/+bug/1581188).

See e.g.

 Systemd vs. Docker at LWN.net:
  https://lwn.net/Articles/676831/

and the notions that Red Hat may end up forking Docker or moving to the runC tool from the Open Container Project, and Docker may switch to containerd.  Such a mess....

If I'm not there, perhaps someone can raise this in the discussion.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/