[lug] Fedora 25 wayland

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Aug 23 11:22:14 MDT 2016

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 11:08:04 -0600
"Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:

> Does anyone know if it will be possible to upgrade to F25 without
> enabling Wayland?  I simply don't need what it provides - I have more
> need to remotely display windows (as with ssh -X, not RDP) than I have
> to do 3D or even video (which works fine for me under X.org anyway).

Yes.

> I've heard that there will be a fallback to X.org but I'm wondering if
> an upgrade will force the switch and then require me to fallback.  I'd
> rather not have it installed at all.  I'm not interested in testing
> Wayland.

It will not. You will get 2 gnome choices after upgrading at the login
screen: "Gnome" which will be with wayland, and "Gnome on X11" which
will be Gnome with no wayland.

If you install the gnome-session-wayland-session in any current Fedora
release, you will get a similar but opposite setup where you will have
"Gnome" which is with X11, and a "Gnome on wayland" choice. So, if you
want to go try it out (all be it with out all the fixes in f25+), you
can easily do so.

All other desktops will be unaffected and you will still have X there.

> I'm wondering if it might be time to switch distros.  Bleeding edge
> isn't really necessary anymore for me.  Systemd has not been pleasant.
> And now wayland.  It's getting to be like Microsoft was - forcing
> updates for the sake of updating.  For some of us, it's not broken.
> Don't fix it.

There's a vast pile of advantages for wayland, and you can still use X
just fine, so no one is "forcing" anything on you here.

It's pretty old now (about 3 years or so) but this is a pretty good
laundy list of why a bunch of X developers went and made wayland:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=x_wayland_situation

> I think CentOS or maybe Debian may provide what I need.  Or maybe do
> something more dramatic, like Arch or roll my own.
>
> Unless I can upgrade to F25 without Wayland getting in my way.

You completely can.

kevin