[lug] NFS on Debian Jessie

Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate gary.hodges at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 6 16:56:19 MST 2016

Hi,

I can mount a share by issuing the following commend:

sudo mount -o nolock /mnt/mfrsr

Without the "-o nolock" option I get the following error:

mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.
mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified

According to packages.debian.org/jessie/nfs-common statd is an included
program, but I can't google a way to successfully start statd.

This machine is a very bare-bones, no X, install.  I'm running another
computer with Jessie and KDE and have no issue with NFS.  I see no
obvious differences with a "chkconfig --list" on both machines.

nfs-common    0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off  S:on
nfs-common    0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off  S:on

Any ideas?

Gary