[lug] NFS on Debian Jessie

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Dec 7 10:42:13 MST 2016

On 12/07/2016 10:00 AM, Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate wrote:

> user at machine:~$ ps -ef |grep statd
> statd      401     1  0 09:57 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/rpc.statd
> statd      886     1  0 09:57 ?        00:00:00 rpc.statd --no-notify
>
> So it seems all should be good, but it's not.

Test with the firewall on the NFS server completely disabled. Make sure
that its iptables rules are all flushed and set to default ALLOW.

If that works, it means you'll need to find the documentation for Debian
(I found it for Redhat but that won't help you) for how to force the
service ports to fixed port numbers and how to set persistent firewall
rules to allow those ports.

NFS was designed in an age before firewalls and by default its RPC
system uses random port numbers which are picked by the port mapper.
This was also an age before every service ran on port 80.