[lug] Triple monitor issue

Steven A Hart steven.hart at colorado.edu
Tue Apr 4 21:42:00 MDT 2017

I'm looking for ideas on a problem I stumbled across.  I have two monitors
connected to my Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon system and all works well.  One
monitor is connected to the onboard HDMI port, the other to the onboard DVI
port.  Both run off the Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell GPU.  My motherboard is
an ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97.

I decided I wanted one more monitor added so I threw in a PCI NVIDIA GTX
8400 card and plugged the third monitor into the cards HDMI port.  Things
get very confused when I try to use the NVIDIA drivers so I stuck with the
Nouveau drivers and things improved a bit.  I was finally able to get all
three running but noticed some ghosting of the mouse pointer.  When the
third monitor is turned off and unplugged from the PCI card, the first two
original monitors go haywire and will not return to the original
configuration.  They do a weird half screen shift.

Has anyone tried doing this with Mint 18.1?  Any suggestions to get all
three happy without any ghosting refresh issues?

Thanks

Steve

--
Steve Hart