[lug] DNS issues with most recent Ubuntu updates?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Sep 11 11:09:32 MDT 2017

​This may or may not be related.

I've had trouble with a VirtualBox machine image. It has a bridged network
adapter but isn't showing up in the router's DHCP table. Logging into the
machine I see it's assigned itself an address in the 10.x.x.x range. That
defeats the purpose since the entire reason for using the bridged network
adapter on a VM image is to allow other systems so see it as a peer. (E.g.,
I'm using it to run a database or similar server. In some cases there are
docker images that allow us to do the same with a smaller footprint but
that isn't an option at the moment.)

I tracked it down to 'dnsmasq'. It's a lightweight DHCP and DNS caching
server. It's primarily designed for routers but Ubuntu has been bundling it
to perform DNS caching. That's not a problem - but setting it up as a DHCP
server is.

There are supposedly countless ways to deal with this. Tell it to use a
different address as the DHCP server. Disable the DHCP server. Disable
dnsmasq entirely. Remove the fricking dnsmasq package. Nothing worked - I
eventually tried using a static address but nuking the dnsmasq (and
indirectly the lxd) package seems to have fried something else. It looks
like I'm going to have to rebuild the image and figure out a different
solution.

To put it mildly I am not happy. Running ubuntu server within a virtualbox
machine in order to provide a service is not an uncommon use case. Caching
DNS lookups is fine but it shouldn't be acting as a DHCP server it that's
going to be causing problems. Let the people using it on routers enable
that explicitly.