[lug] Permanent OpenVPN routing?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Sep 13 08:52:51 MDT 2017

Has anyone set up permanent OpenVPN routing on a server?

By that I'm contrasting this to the Network Manager with gnome integration
- you click on the networking icon and select VPN connections to enable /
disable VPN. That's up to the user to remember and seems to disconnect
sometimes.

In this case I want a server to always go through OpenVPN. I could create
an init.d script that calls OpenVPN directly but I'm sure there's a better
way through the ifup/ifdown scripts and calling network manager instead

I'm sure I can google it but maybe people have experience with what
actually works.

(Yes, I know it's also possible to reflash my router to it handles VPN
connections transparently. Not there yet.)