[lug] FYI systems w/ more than 128GB

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sun Feb 11 11:10:31 MST 2018

I'm not a Dell salescritter and don't get a commission on this. Just FYI
since it might be cheaper to get a new system with a warranty and
latest-gen CPU than to get a used server or to burn through SSD drives and
weeks of downtime as a database is built.

- I don't see my SFF Optiplex 7040 listed in the most recent Dell small
business catalogue(*) but here are two systems that support 64GB or more.
These are on the 'customizable' page.

- Dell Precision Tower 3000 series 3240 - 6th gen i3, up to Xeon processor
Ev3-1270 v5. up to 64 GB, starts at $567.99. (Use code SAVE35)

- Dell Precision 5820 Tower. Xeon W-2012 processor, up to Xeon W-2155. Up
to 256GB. starts at $1159.99. (Use code SAVE35)

- This must be a typo but there's a PowerEdge T130 Tower Server for $199
(Use coupon SERVER250). Or maybe not - it goes up to a Xeon processor but
starts with a celeron processor. I don't see max memory specified. There's
also a PowerEdge T430 towser server, $1029 with SERVER250, starts with one
Xeon processor but supports two.

As a practical matter this just means to go to dell.com/sb, look for the
systems with your desired criteria (memory, PCIe SSD), and then try the two
discount codes.

BTW I have two 'micro form factor' optiplex and two 'small form factor'
optiplex. The micros are nice - they're a little bit larger than a NUC but
still pretty small. I've become uncomfortable using them as a dev system
though because of the heavy load during builds. I've only had two systems
fail catastrophically (iirc) but one was one of the Optiplex 30x0 micro
form factor systems. It took out the internal drive, the external USB
drive, and some old internal drives that I used when investigatng the
problem. I don't know that it overheated but the cases are warm, nearly
hot, at times. That's why I bumped to SFF for my more recent systems.

(* it's possible/likely that the SFF 7050 listed with an i5 is limited to
32 GB and an upgrade to an i7 includes an upgrade to max memory.)