[lug] fvwm: was virtual screens on gnome?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Feb 11 15:09:17 MST 2018

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 11:17:26 -0700
"Jed S. Baer" <blug at jbaer.cotse.net> wrote:

> I'm getting a kick out of this discussion, since I use Fvwm, and thus
> have very very few surprises. e.g., the syntax and behavor for the
> FvwmPager module (virtual desktops) is unchanged since ... 1997? In
> fact, almost all of my Fvwm config file from back then would still
> just work. Things in Fvwm land don't just mysteriously vanish, or
> change just because reasons.

Hi Jed,

I have a feeling you're just the right person to ask this: I've been
trying to try out fvwm for 10 years now, and every time I get stopped
by two things:

1) It defaults to tiny fonts so that I can't see to bigafy the fonts.

2) The menus require     clicking     on     every     level     .

3) The menus are these breakoff things you have to clean up after.

How do I fix #1, for all fonts, from an environment I can see? Note
that I can't always see the virtual terminal, because many distros
think it's hip to tinyfy the virtual terminal font to accommodate 80 200
character lines.

Can 2 and 3 be configured away, once I have a font I can see?

> For the most part, I launch programs from the command line, so the
> question of where the menu item or launch function went just don't
> apply.

Try hotkeying Suckless Tools' dmenu into your environment. It's much
more discoverable than the command prompt, and usually requires fewer
keystrokes. Dmenu is a productivity fountain.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb