[lug] Thoughts on upgrading to CentOS 7

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Wed Mar 28 06:43:54 MDT 2018

It's pretty clear that systemd is the most widely reviled feature of Linux for the last 10 years - maybe in its lifetime.

A complex solution to a simple problem that was already adequately solved.

But it's supporters were well-placed "politically" and their main arguments in favor of it were either easily solved in sysv (if anyone had cared), or were ad hominem arguments - variations on "You guys are all stupid" (replace stupid with luddite, etc).

But for most of the world it was clear that there was no point in opposing it - you won't win (because logic was irrelevant), and you'll be dragged through the mud. "Never argue with a pig - the pig loves it and you get all dirty".

And if you want to argue that here, there's even less of a point now - it's been a fact for a while, and isn't going away for most people.

People like to say that technology wins in open source. This appears to be a counterexample.

  -- Alan