[lug] Cluster File Systems

Steve Webb bigwebb at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 14:54:04 MDT 2018

I think that I would need to know a few things before I could answer what a
good cluster filesystem would be for the task.  You already covered the
standard answers: NFS, GlusterFS & Lustre.  Do you need support for dozens,
hundreds or thousands of clients?  Is there a NAS available for shared
storage or is it truly distributed storage (spanning multiple hosts)?  What
is the app that's running that needs access to > 10G files?  video?  Large
databases?  Weather Model?

NFS would be my go-to if it handles the workload.  Pretty stable, runs on
tons of platforms.  Could be a SPOF though in production environments.
GlusterFS would be a good solution if the storage is truely distributed and
you don't want to do much cluster management.
Lustre is the go-to for many clients - good for large parallel computing
platforms.
GFS is awesome, supported by RedHat/CentOS, but requires a SAN or central
storage.
Ceph is awesome, but requires a bunch of machines for infrastructure (is
mainly an object storage system but has a filesystem driver for it)

If this is in AWS, you could look into EFS (AWS's version of NFSv4) or an
S3-based FUSE wrapper.

- Steve Webb