[lug] Cluster File Systems

Richard Johnson rdump at river.com
Mon Aug 27 21:36:20 MDT 2018

On 2018-08-08 07:47, Rob Nagler wrote:
>> I naively thought that after 35+ years that simple cluster-file-system
>
> I think naively all the time. Gets me in a lot of trouble. :)
>
> Sorry you are having so much trouble.
>
> FWIW, RMACC Symposium <http://rmacc.org/hpcsymposium/schedule> is going on
> this week. I just happened to sit in on an open discussion between
> experienced admins where they discussed file systems.

Was there any mention of Tahoe LAFS? https://tahoe-lafs.org/

Maybe not, because it's not designed primarily for high performance, focusing
instead on secure/private sharing across distributed systems with multiple
copies of blocks for redundancy.

It's also a capabilities system rather than a traditional file store, though
there are front ends that can mimic file stores.

I got some good use out of it at NCAR, in lab testing, for storing private
data on other HPC sites' in-kind-donated space. But we only ever used it for
smaller bits; no tera- or peta-scale systems.

Rich