[lug] Two (or more) separate X logins on different virtual terminals?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Nov 13 06:51:01 MST 2018

This is one of those questions where any answer on google is buried under
countless similar, but unrelated answers and the few on-point are a decade
old. Sigh.

With the gnome gdm is it possible to have separate X logins on different
virtual terminals? The specific idea is to set up my work laptop so that
VT-1 is used for my work and VT-2 is used for personal stuff. I'm not doing
a lot of personal stuff on it but chrome tabs tend to reproduce like
rabbits without wolves and using different desktops and chrome profiles
isn't working out as I hoped. I really wish chrome kept track of which
gnome screen a window was on when you shutdown and relaunch - it would save
so much effort.

I think I might have set this up before but it was a very long time ago.

Thanks,

Bear