[lug] LPIC-2 exam (1st one)

BC bcarr at purgatoire.org
Tue Nov 13 07:50:04 MST 2018

On 11/13/2018 7:25 AM, Bear Giles wrote:

> The main omission in the videos was IPv6. It covered a lot of
> networking stuff but (in retrospect) didn't cover IPv6 at all. It
> didn't stand out since I don't use IPv6. I should - at least on my
> home network - just so I start to become familiar with it. I know
> comcast didn't provide IPv6 to residential users a while back but
> maybe that has changed.

Congratulations on your testing (all the abbreviations are an alphabet
soup to me.)

Comcast has had all their residential customers on IPv6 for some time
(this according to a business-class tech who was here a couple of
years ago doing some work). I've only tested several residential
customers' setups and sure enough, IPv6 on all of them with no
evidence of any IPv4. The business-class side of Comcast is all IPv4
with no option for IPv6 at this time (at least it hasn't been offered
to me, so I use Hurricane Electric's free IPv4-to-IPv6 service just to
play around [at this time, I only use IPv6 to poll some time servers]).

A couple of years ago I spent a month learning IPv6. It really is much
better than IPv4. Takes some getting used to and the size of the
address space is beyond imagination. You'll enjoy learning it...