[lug] LPIC-2 exam (1st one)

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Nov 13 12:10:28 MST 2018

RHCSA/LPIC-1 means they can let you on the computer room floor without too
much worry you'll accidently burn the place down. You'll still need
supervision but you'll know why 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda' is a bad idea
if someone asks them to do it.

RHCE/LPIC-2 means that they can give you a much more abstract task, e.g.,
set up a new web server and get it fully integrated into the existing
infrastructure.

I need to focus on my prep but a part of me is still running through S&G
scenarios. E.g., I know the micro-SD card on a rpi is so slow that people
are usually told to use an NFS mount for any serious work - just boot from
the micro-SD and only use it to store stuff where performance doesn't
matter. However from an earlier discussion I know that a USB-3 port can be
pretty fast. I don't know if it's fast on an rpi (and I don't even know if
the latest rpis have USB-3 ports) but it got me wondering about checking
out some of the stuff in the class. Take a rpi, set it up as an iSCSI
target, and then use it to set up drives on some of my linux systems. The
rpi would be a SAN device instead of a traditional network filesystem.

It has drawbacks, e.g., unlike Samba and NFS you can't have multiple
clients access the files at the same time. On the other hand it looks like
a local drive and might be a little faster than Samba/NFS since it's only
used to move blocks back and forth and doesn't try to interpret them. It
could also be conceptually easier to secure if your systems are dual-nic so
you could do all of this on a separate wires and switch than the one
connected to your wifi and the internet.