[lug] Troubleshooting Transient DNS failures

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Wed Jan 16 09:37:27 MST 2019

Not exactly the answer you are looking for, but...

Over the years I've found my colo/ISPs had issues with DNS so I switched to
Google and now CloudFlare. I find them to be extremely reliable, and moved
to CloudFlare, since they aren't Google. Google

Your failure is not likely to be local so spending time debugging it may be
a total waste of time. Pop and swap. :)

One time we were having issues with TCP DNS. One of their caching servers
was misconfigured. Another time, certain sites (e.g. github.com) were just
failing randomly, which would mess up builds randomly. As you say, you
don't have control of the DNS servers, so you're going to be debugging your
ISP/colo (read: maybe the same one :).

Rob