[lug] Troubleshooting Transient DNS failures

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Wed Jan 16 08:28:10 MST 2019

I'm having some problems with transient DNS failures. Unfortunately, I
don't own the DNS servers in the stack so I can't do any troubleshooting
via logging.

What I'm thinking is setting up 2-3 machines (on different networks)
with a monitoring script. The script would do a DNS lookup through the
local machine's DNS resolution stack and record the results. It would
also do a DNS query against the authoritative servers for the DNS names
in question and record the results.

I think for data, I just want to capture lookup pass/fail, and the
resolution time in ms. If I can show transient failures on one network,
but not others, then I can go back to the owners of the DNS server and
push for a resolution.

Can anyone make any recommendations on tools that I could use to
automate these tests?

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc. - Home of connectDaily Web Calendar