[lug] keeping up with attacks

Stephen Kraus ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com
Sat May 4 10:48:59 MDT 2019

You can attack a VPN, but without the encryption certs its not going to be
brute forceable like SSH.

Rule of thumb: If its an admin access method (SSH, RDP, etc.) it should not
be public facing. The VPN requires you to change networks (connect to it)
to pivot to attacking the box. It adds a layer of seperation from your
critical admin access methods

Isolating public facing items to customer items only (HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/SFTP)
limits your attack surface and frustrates bot attacks, so long as you are
keeping up with vulnerability audits and patching.

If you must use public facing SSH, public key only access helps limit
drivebys