[lug] TP-Link Router Q.

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon May 6 14:13:02 MDT 2019

Hi,

My internet searches have been fruitless on this topic (the router docs only say how it should work, but don't take into account that it is broken), but I know a lot of people here have worked with the TP-Link routers, so maybe someone here has run into this issue.

I just had to replace a network card going to a TP-Link TL-WR940N. The old NIC was bound by MAC address and the IP was reserved to that MAC address. So I wanted to bind the new MAC address to that old reserved IP address.

I deleted the original entry, including both MAC binding and reserved IP. I rebooted. Now I'm trying to add the new MAC to the old IP (which I see is no longer reserved or bound). The only trouble is that it refuses the old IP because it says the IP is in conflict with an already reserved IP. I have found no method to change this and I did in fact delete the old IP reservation. The IP it claims is still in existence is not (so far as I can tell).

It claims (the European spelling "conflictes" is actually spelled that way in the error message):

Error code: 20010

The entry conflictes with the existing reserved addresses.

I have about 10 MACs and a number of rules already set up and I really don't want to wipe the entire router and start over from scratch. Does anyone here know if there is a way to force the reserved address to be given up so I can bind it again without resetting the entire router? Is wiping the entire setup the only way to assign a new MAC to an old reserved IP?

Thanks!