[lug] Security - Wireguard

Bucky Carr bcarr at purgatoire.org
Sat Jun 29 10:58:04 MDT 2019

On 6/29/2019 10:24 AM, Stephen Kraus wrote:
> I'll totally check it out, thanks for the heads up
>
> "OpenVPN (big, slow to connect and run, complicated, non-intuitive
> setup, etc) "
>
> Honestly? I'm gonna disagree here, there's plenty of OpenVPN setups
> that alleviate this. OpenVPN Access Server is entirely GUI based,
> with easily exportable conf files and an automated setup for Google
> Authentication for MFA. Its a Virtual Appliance too, so its
> practically a click of a button, and simple routing changes to get
> it opened to the DMZ or Internet, and its ready to go.

Okay, thanks for the update. I didn't know there is a GUI for OpenVPN.
One thing especially I don't like about OpenVPN is how chatty it is.
Sending those keeplive packets all the time. I don't seem to need the
keepalive packets with Wireguard.

Also I'm not as tech oriented as you folks who do it for a living
(hobby here) so ferreting out the intricasies of the likes of OpenVPN
an IPsec are a bit out of my reach (or take me weeks).