[lug] Dell Optiplex 9020 + ubuntu + 4k monitor

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Nov 7 09:49:44 MST 2019

Really dumb question but the display software has changed several times
since the old X/Motif days...

I just got a few 9020s (2012-era but only $200 and Good Enough for my
purposes) and the transplanted disk had no problem with the 4k display.
However after I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 19.10 - the system had
had 16.04? on it - I don't have an option over 1920x1200.

This is definitely a 4k monitor and 4k switch - I know this because I saw a
4k display with this exact setup a day ago.

What's the current incantation to tell the display to auto-detect the
hardware and download any required drivers?

I'm a bit surprised I'm having this problem since Ubuntu has been very good
at autosensing and autoconfiguring hardware - and this is ancient hardware
that was supported as far back as 12.04. The only thing I can think of is
that the default installation may not include "non-free" - easy to fix but
a reboot might not be enough for the autodetect to know to download a
non-free package.