[lug] Mixing Ubuntu and Fedora Bootloaders

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Dec 24 14:15:29 MST 2019

> On December 23, 2019 at 6:29 PM Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
>

> On 12/22/2019 12:48 PM, D. Stimits wrote:
> > The other disk contains both Ubuntu and Fedora, and I need to put the
> > Fedora bootloader back on to the disk which the update unfortunately
> > caused to be the Ubuntu bootloader
>
> You are going to need to write custom GRUB scripts for both Ubuntu and
> Fedora.
>
> Both Fedora and Ubuntu have the scripts in /etc/grub.d. I would
> recommend building a submenu for each OS and having each one build its
> boot scripts into its submenu.
>
> --
>                  Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
>                          Study Hard -- Be Evil

I had wanted to simply keep the Fedora system in place, but I can see I need to learn more about scripting of the GRUB bootloader. However, is there any single command I can give to put the Fedora version back in place since this is not old style BIOS? In the long run I do have to do this, but for now I just hand edited entries in the Ubuntu version of the boot loader.