[lug] curiosity about WFH

George Sexton georges at mhsoftware.com
Wed Mar 18 16:41:03 MDT 2020

The company I'm working for has a great WFH policy. My manager, and two
other people on our team aren't even in-state. One in San Diego, one in
Arkansas, and one somewhere in the Bay Area. They all work from home.
I've never personally met the one in Arkansas and I've been there two years.

It's typical for snow storm days to just take laptops home the night
before. There's a lot of good infrastructure. We've also got software
(VOIP) phones, so if you dial my work #, the app on my PC gives me the
option to answer. The same app (Avaya IX Workplace) also does video
conferencing. For headset, I have a bluetooth dongle that works with my
hearing aids. Our only concern now is that if we're 100% WFH, the VPN
will be overrun. We encountered some issues so far, but pretty minor.

As far as the current crisis goes, I looked at it last Tuesday (3/10)
afternoon and said this is crazy, and I started WFH on Wednesday (3/11)
of last week. The company as a whole finally declared WFH for North
America effective Monday (3/16). EMEA is up to the site director.

They haven't locked down the building, so if people need to go in to do
hardware work, they can. I've heard in EMEA that the buildings are
locked down and you need specific permission to enter.

George

On 3/16/2020 5:00 PM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I'm curious about the WFH policies at various companies (your
> employers). Have they relaxed the WFH options? Mandated WFH?
>
> My employer, NCAR/UCAR, on March 6th relaxed its policies from the
> previous sort of "discuss options with your supervisors and find a
> mutual agreement" to "if you do not feel comfortable coming to work,
> any employee may choose to work from home". Last Friday, March 13th,
> almost at the end of the day, they made WFH mandatory for practically
> everybody and forbade access by staff to its buildings starting
> tomorrow at noon. On Sunday PM, they even abruptly cancelled shuttle
> and cafeteria services for today, making it quite challenging for
> those who do not drive and needed to collect items from office before
> the building became off-limits.
>
> Anybody willing to share what others are doing? I'm quite curious.
> Cheers,
> Davide

George Sexton
(303) 438 9585 x102