[lug] Open Source Video Encoding Formats...Multiple Video Layers?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Mar 31 16:09:00 MDT 2020

Not as a container format or video format, per se, but as an editable
format: OpenShot saves video projects in layers (or tracks), including
separate audio tracks.  But then you have to render the video to a
playback format like mp4 or mkv or similar to get something you can
play with mplayer, vlc or ffmpeg.  It's not unlike layers in GIMP
where, to save the layers, you must save in XCF format which is an
editing format, but not really a generalized display format.