[lug] debugging workstation issue

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 16:45:01 MDT 2020

Thanks to both of you.

Zan: it is indeed a systemd system and "journalctl -b -1" provides what I
was looking for. I don't see anything suspicious other than perhaps

Apr 09 13:23:43 buzzicone systemd[1]: Starting Message of the Day...
Apr 09 13:23:43 buzzicone systemd[1]: Started Message of the Day.

(and then the log ends). The time is around when the problem occurred and I
tried to trigger that live by e.g. opening a new shell, starting bash with
-l option, ssh'ing to localhost, triggering the screensaver. Nothing cause
it to happen.... so that is weird.

D Stimits: ssh'ing prior to the failure assumes that I have a spare system
to do that, which unfortunately at the moment I haven't (plus as I said it
sometimes happens at boot before I get a chance to ssh into it). Thanks for
the tip about unplugging and replugging USB devices, I will try that next
time!

Cheers,
Davide