[lug] debugging workstation issue

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 07:46:47 MDT 2020

Thanks Maxwell and Michael,

The video card is of this machine is older than the rest of the box. It's
an ATI dual-monitor DVI (details below). There is no 3D enabled. One of the
first things I tried when this was happening was indeed trying
CONTROL-ALT-Fn and that did not work. I say "did" because I recently
changed keyboard with a more ergonomic Apple one (or I had my hands chopped
off with the inordinate amount of time I now have to spend there....) and
on such keyboard the Fn keys are not recognized, so this test is a moot
point.
Yet, I think the key point here is the fact that the box does not respond
to ssh attempts, so it must go in some weird status, not just a "broken
display mode" one.

Maxwell, I am sorry to hear that even you have to suffer these things. Sigh.

Thanks,
Davide

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV370 GL
[FireMV 2200] (rev 80)
Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV370 GL [FireMV
2200] (Secondary) (rev 80)