[lug] [GoLugTech] Efficiency prioritized Linux desktop

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Apr 16 12:21:08 MDT 2020

On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 19:05:41 +0000
David Krauser <david at krauser.org> wrote:

> On that note, dmenu is somewhat fuzzy - it will do partial matches,
> too.

True, and I never thought of it that way. In fact, not only does
dmenu do partial matches, but it matches front-of-string matches or
in-string matches, with the latter sorting to the bottom. So yes, dmenu
could be said to be somewhat fuzzy.

I guess what I was trying to say is that my setup has no engineered-in
human-like ambiguity that can make things harder for the person who
wants to find things logically and literally. It has no state based on
frequency of use, which sounds sooooo timesaving until one spends
several minutes trying to find how to to do a seldom done task.

The other thing about "to fuzz or not to fuzz" is that my setup doesn't
preclude fuzzy logic, nor does fuzzy logic preclude my setup. If one
wanted, he or she could use my techniques with Gnome3, which is the
fuzziest *Linux* user interface I've seen. Use Gnome3's built in
techniques to go fuzzy, use my techniques to go literal and logical.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb