[lug] monitoring kids

Maxwell Spangler lists at maxwellspangler.com
Tue May 5 13:48:18 MDT 2020

On Tue, 2020-05-05 at 11:38 -0600, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> Folks,
>
> For the series better late than never, I would like to track my kids
> use of their computers which is supposedly be only "s
> hcool" and for obvious reasons has skyrocketed to a large amount of
> time.

I think others are about to chime in with something along these lines:

1. Leave your existing Motrola cable modem-router in place but disable
its WIFI so it is simply your gateway to the internet.

2. Add a consumer WIFI solution that does good monitoring and control
of per-device access.

3. Have ever device in the home use the new WIFI as its way out to the
internet

4. Monitor the sites being accessed, block as required.

The Ubiquity brand of devices has been building a reputation for 5-10
years for being very high quality, modular and user friendly.  I'd love
it if others using this could explain more specifics of what Davide
might consider from them.

You can find these features in consumer brands like Netgear but I'm not
sure how well they work.  They always seem to be somewhere between very
basic and works but doesn't amaze me.

You can insert an old Netgear WIFI access point with a third party
firmware like DD-WRT and it will let you do simple logs of what sites
are being accessed. But beyond this is a very technical approach and
not as satisfying as some of us want.

Hope this helps, looking forward to what others say.

Maxwell Spangler

Denver, Colorado, USA

maxwellspangler.com