[lug] Finding and removing obsolete packages after system upgrade

Jonathan Eidsness jonathan.eidsness at gmail.com
Wed May 6 13:09:48 MDT 2020

Hey Everybody,

Docker broke on my recent system upgrade to Fedora 32 as a result of having
oci-systemd-hook installed (which was obsoleted some time ago). Removing
the package fixed my issue, but now i'm left wondering what other obsoletes
are hiding in there.

Does anyone know if there's a way to query dnf for packages that aren't
found in any upstream repositories anymore? A list of packages that have
been obsoleted in fedora would be a good option as well.

I've tried dnf list --obsoletes, but it looks like it only returns really
recent obsolete versions of packages or dependencies that have version
conflicts, etc.

Jonathan Eidsness