[lug] Finding and removing obsolete packages after system upgrade

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed May 6 15:01:56 MDT 2020

Just use a really minimal installation and work in a docker container. It's
really easy to go back to an earlier version. :-)

I'm actually doing that now - but with virtualbox - for my java development
at work. It's a monster app and it's been a nightmare keeping all of the
dependencies straight. My life got a *lot* easier when I moved into a
virtualbox instance where I download the source from github and then run an
ansible script to install all of the tools and libraries used by the other
components of our platform

I plan to go a step further and just use docker containers for the other
components. I haven't had any problems building the docker images but I
don't know the magic values in the magic configuration files to get the
docker containers to play together. The normal dev setup assumes everything
is available on localhost but using 'host networking' doesn't work right.