[lug] Finding and removing obsolete packages after system upgrade

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Wed May 6 15:21:16 MDT 2020

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 3:01 PM Bear Giles wrote:
> Just use a really minimal installation and work in a docker container.
It's really easy to go back to an earlier version. :-)

Amen, brother.

> I'm actually doing that now - but with virtualbox - for my java
development at work. It's a monster app and it's been a nightmare keeping
all of the dependencies straight. My life got a *lot* easier when I moved
into a virtualbox instance where I download the source from github and then
run an ansible script to install all of the tools and libraries used by the
other components of our platform

Praise be Virtualization!

> I plan to go a step further and just use docker containers for the other
components. I haven't had any problems building the docker images but I
don't know the magic values in the magic configuration files to get the
docker containers to play together. The normal dev setup assumes everything
is available on localhost but using 'host networking' doesn't work right.

We do this, and it works fine. Maybe there are some Unix domain sockets
involved? You have to mount those.

Another problem I've found with Vagrant is that the name of the host gets
embedded in /etc/hosts bound to 127.0.0.1. Pretty confusing if you are
using private networking. I use this:

    # https://stackoverflow.com/a/33137719/3075806
    # Undo mapping of hostname to 127.0.0.1
    config.vm.provision "shell",
        inline: "sed -i '/127.0.0.1.*v.radia.run/d' /etc/hosts"

Rob