[lug] Finding and removing obsolete packages after system upgrade

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu May 7 12:01:32 MDT 2020

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 01:09:48PM -0600, Jonathan Eidsness wrote:
> Hey Everybody,
>
> Docker broke on my recent system upgrade to Fedora 32 as a result of having
> oci-systemd-hook installed (which was obsoleted some time ago). Removing
> the package fixed my issue, but now i'm left wondering what other obsoletes
> are hiding in there.
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to query dnf for packages that aren't
> found in any upstream repositories anymore? A list of packages that have
> been obsoleted in fedora would be a good option as well.

dnf list extras

will list all packages you have installed that are not available in some
enabled repo. Note that sometimes this will list completely normal
things, like older kernel versions that you have installed but arent in
the repos anymore.

You can use:

dnf repoquery --unsatisfied

to see any packages you have installed that have unsatisfied
dependencies.

Hope that helps,

kevin