[lug] Finding and removing obsolete packages after system upgrade

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed May 6 14:53:27 MDT 2020

I don't know the rpm equivalence but in Debian/Ubuntu you can use
'deborphan'. If you're feeling bold use

$ sudo dpkg --purge `deborphan`

repeatedly until you get a message about no packages specified. (Deleting
one unused package often makes others unused.)

It's not perfect for developers. Sometimes we'll install libraries for our
needs that aren't also used by any of the installed packages and it has no
way to know that. But overall it's pretty good at removing clutter.