[lug] Jitsi, etc.

Mike Witt msg2mw at gmail.com
Sun May 17 17:02:31 MDT 2020

On 05/17/2020 04:43:31 PM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> Ah! Interesting and unexpected. To me is sounds like Zoom recognizes
> what
> you are framing, and switches compression scheme. Like taking a
> screenshot
> of this email: if you want high quality, PNG beats JPG hands down: to
> get
> high quality on JPG you need a much higher byte count than PNG for
> this
> kind of content.
>
> Just as curiosity, since you have a gmail email, have you tried the
> various
> Google products too? Hangout, Meet and Duo? Not sure why they have so
> many
> things doing the same thing....

No, I haven't. I used to use google hangouts, and then it went away.
Now that you mention it, I do see something when I log on to gmail
offering me to use "meet." Actually I seldom go to gmail. It's a
*terrible* interface. I use POP to get the mail and read it with Balsa.

I have not checked out any of the new google meeting things, nor have I
tried webx yet (although I mean to do that).

> Have you tried Skype?

I haven't used it for a long time.

If I hear anything to indicate that any one of the above really works
well, I'll give it a try. But "give it a try" (to really determine if
it's going to work for the group) is a procedure involving multiple
(busy) people for a non-trivial amount of time.