[lug] Jitsi, etc. (Michael Hirsch)

Mike Witt msg2mw at gmail.com
Sat May 23 14:36:41 MDT 2020

On 05/23/2020 08:38:45 AM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2020 16:24:34 -0600
> Dru Whitledge <druw at oneimage.com> wrote:
>
> FWIW, I just hosted a 50-person development conference with
> BigBlueButton:
>
> 	https://lwn.net/Articles/820337/
>
> I got lots of comments from attendees about how they like the
> platform,
> better than Zoom.  We're currently planning to use it for the Linux
> Plumbers Conference, which is an order of magnitude larger.

Dru,

Your report encouraged me to try BBB again (my first attempt everything
just hung -- maybe it was a bad day).

The quality appeared to be very good. It's the only thing I've tried
(other than Zoom) where the video might be good enough for what I'm
doing.

But, when I just tried it:

- No recordings
- Time limit of 60 minutes
- One one webcam enabled (for the "instructor")

I'm assuming that these three items are only because I signed up for
the default "free" account. But it isn't really obvious how I go about
getting a different kind of account, or how much that would cost.

Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks!

-Mike