[lug] Jitsi, etc. (Michael Hirsch)

Jonathan Corbet corbet-bldrlug at lwn.net
Sun May 24 10:44:05 MDT 2020

On Sat, 23 May 2020 14:36:41 -0600
Mike Witt <msg2mw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Your report encouraged me to try BBB again (my first attempt everything
> just hung -- maybe it was a bad day).
>
> The quality appeared to be very good. It's the only thing I've tried
> (other than Zoom) where the video might be good enough for what I'm
> doing.
>
> But, when I just tried it:
>
> - No recordings
> - Time limit of 60 minutes
> - One one webcam enabled (for the "instructor")
>
> I'm assuming that these three items are only because I signed up for
> the default "free" account. But it isn't really obvious how I go about
> getting a different kind of account, or how much that would cost.

Don't confuse the software with a service that some company is running
using that software.  BBB is free software and has none of the limitations
listed above.  But for somebody to offer a service on the net using BBB
that was free for all comers would be an expensive proposition indeed.
You definitely need to host your own instance to get what you want, I
think.

jon