[lug] Can a Raspberry Pi replace a MacBook pro?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Jun 16 13:45:38 MDT 2020

TL;DR: no

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/i-replaced-my-macbook-pro-raspberry-pi-4-8gb-day

He's had better luck running a K8 cluster on an RPi (compute node) cluster.

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/raspberry-pi-cluster-episode-4-minecraft-pi-hole-grafana-and-more

After a WTF moment I found myself wondering just how well a RPi compute
node stacks up to an EC2 instance. It's probably not too bad as long as you
don't need disk I/O. An EC2 instance is far more scalable, of course, but
if you know you'll have a certain base load and can compile it for the ARM
processor that RPi cluster might be a better choice.