[lug] Guitar to USB

Mike Witt msg2mw at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 18:11:47 MDT 2020

On 06/17/2020 05:53:31 PM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> > > I was shocked when the Focusrite I bought, with a fairly good
> > > condenser
> > > microphone produced results very close to built-in microphones on
> > > various
> > > laptops I had (yes, I listened back to the recording from the
> > > Focusrite
> > > audio interface itself, both with decent headphones and with HiFi
> > > amp+speakers). So I returned both and went back to the easier
> option.
> >
> > That's a very interesting bit of information. I've talked to a
> couple
> > of people on the Linux Musicians forum who are kind of pushing the
> > Focusrite.
> >

> Ditto. Hence I was shocked by that finding. I don't doubt that a good
> audio
> engineer could have made things better with the Focusrite, but alas I
> am
> not one. I know Physics and know that the mic positioning is very
> important, but could not find one that was definitely better. My
> guess was
> that the integrated mics are designed to be better "in general", by
> picking
> sound omnidirectionally and without being too sensitive to the
> background,
> whereas the condenser mic (a cardioid MXL770 with its noise-insulating
> mounting hw) is designed to pick up exactly what is happening at a
> given
> point in space with greater fidelity, background noise from a
> refrigerator
> in another room or from lightbulbs included. In online music lessons,
> 4
> different teachers agreed that the sound with the Focusrite was
> definitely
> worse than the one with the integrated microphones (with 4 different
> laptops), and that the latter was more than adequate for the lessons.
>

> > Well, a couple of things. I'm trying to use "Jamulus" (long story)
> and
> >

> Wow, I was in fact wondering about someone trying to do that! Would
> it work
> for online lessons too? As I said we have 4 teachers for 3 different
> instruments here (clarinet, violin and piano) and the ability to play
> simultaneously with the teacher would be great! I know that might be
> impossible depending on latency, but some of the teachers are local
> (when
> they are not travelling :-) and I'll bet at least one would be on the
> same
> ISP.

I've heard (but don't have any personal knowledge) that this is more
popular with teachers:

https://www.jamkazam.com/

I know nothing about it. From the website it looks more like a
"service" of some kind.

Back to jamulus. I've installed the "client" and I sat in on a session
that some people were having. They were all "close" to each other in
network terms and it seemed to work fine. All I did was listen. I
haven't managed to get my guitar hooked up to it yet, and when I start
up the client I don't see any servers in Denver (although the physical
distance and the latency distance could be very different).

> [a little more details on your project]
>
> Very nice! And I know (but do not use) Rosegarden.

It seems like Ardour is the more popular one. I just got started with
Rosegarden for whatever reason. I have no idea how they actually
compare.

> > PS: this is OT, but ought to be known by everybody who does music
> and
> > > Linux: https://www.modartt.com/
> >
> > Interesting. I'll hang on to that link. I currently have no decent
> > voices.
>

> What voices are you talking about? Do you mean "virtual instruments"?

Yeah, that's what I meant. I downloaded some "sound fonts" from some
freebie place a long time ago. I don't even remember.