[lug] Guitar to USB

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 17:53:31 MDT 2020

> > I was shocked when the Focusrite I bought, with a fairly good
> > condenser
> > microphone produced results very close to built-in microphones on
> > various
> > laptops I had (yes, I listened back to the recording from the
> > Focusrite
> > audio interface itself, both with decent headphones and with HiFi
> > amp+speakers). So I returned both and went back to the easier option.
>
> That's a very interesting bit of information. I've talked to a couple
> of people on the Linux Musicians forum who are kind of pushing the
> Focusrite.

Ditto. Hence I was shocked by that finding. I don't doubt that a good audio
engineer could have made things better with the Focusrite, but alas I am
not one. I know Physics and know that the mic positioning is very
important, but could not find one that was definitely better. My guess was
that the integrated mics are designed to be better "in general", by picking
sound omnidirectionally and without being too sensitive to the background,
whereas the condenser mic (a cardioid MXL770 with its noise-insulating
mounting hw) is designed to pick up exactly what is happening at a given
point in space with greater fidelity, background noise from a refrigerator
in another room or from lightbulbs included. In online music lessons, 4
different teachers agreed that the sound with the Focusrite was definitely
worse than the one with the integrated microphones (with 4 different
laptops), and that the latter was more than adequate for the lessons.

> Well, a couple of things. I'm trying to use "Jamulus" (long story) and

Wow, I was in fact wondering about someone trying to do that! Would it work
for online lessons too? As I said we have 4 teachers for 3 different
instruments here (clarinet, violin and piano) and the ability to play
simultaneously with the teacher would be great! I know that might be
impossible depending on latency, but some of the teachers are local (when
they are not travelling :-) and I'll bet at least one would be on the same
ISP.

[a little more details on your project]

Very nice! And I know (but do not use) Rosegarden.

> PS: this is OT, but ought to be known by everybody who does music and
> > Linux: https://www.modartt.com/
>
> Interesting. I'll hang on to that link. I currently have no decent
> voices.

What voices are you talking about? Do you mean "virtual instruments"?

> One piano that's "ok" but that's about it. I guess I plan to
> worry about that if I ever record anything worth listening to.

 FWIW, pianoteq (and organteq), besides having a Linux version (which is
great) also have a demo version which is not too-badly limited (after 20
minutes you need to close and reopen the program and there are 8 notes
missing out of the 88 notes of the piano -- obviously they are
strategically placed, but not too annoying): https://www.modartt.com/try

There also are other instruments: https://www.modartt.com/instrument_list
(included in the demo) and https://www.modartt.com/free_stuff (you need to
buy the software to use the latter)

Just to be clear, I have no affiliation with this software, I am just
intrigued by it (and not have bought it, at least not yet), and only
briefly tried an older version.

And since we are at it, let me also mention https://blokas.io/patchbox-os/
which seems very interesting (but I have not even tried it)

Cheers,
Davide