[lug] Software playing music out of a picture of a score

mad.scientist.at.large at tutanota.com mad.scientist.at.large at tutanota.com
Fri Sep 11 07:17:16 MDT 2020

If you were a blind musician, It might be extremely useful.  Especially in regard to music that's new to you of  a style you hadn't heard before.

It's doubtless similar to OCR software.  It's fairly basic image analysis.

--"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." Tommy Douglas

Sep 11, 2020, 06:52 by davide.del.vento at gmail.com:

> You are most welcome, Jeffrey, and great seeing you at the BLUG.
>
> As I said, I find this software interesting from a "look what I can do" perspective, but then I am having a hard time seeing how this can be truly useful in practice for a musician. Sort of like a person who can walk upside down on their hand: cool, but then how is that useful in life? I'm probably exaggerating, but nonetheless I see very limited possible uses of such an app.
>
> If anybody uses it besides for curiosity, let me know what is your use case, because I am intrigued by the technology, but I could not find a use for which I have a (more practical) alternative.
>
> Cheers,
> Davide
>

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 10:19 PM Jeffrey S. Haemer <> jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com> > wrote:
>
>> Davide,
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 8:49 PM Davide Del Vento <>> davide.del.vento at gmail.com>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Good to see everybody tonight.
>>>
>>> Here is the software I mentioned a few minutes ago: >>> https://www.playscore.co/playscore-for-android/
>>>

>>> Pretty impressive that a software in your phone can do a once-thought to be human-task better than some humans....
>>> Since DeepBlue (AlphaGo for the young people reading this) we've been used to thinking we need supercomputers for that, but I guess the world has changed....
>>>
>>> Yet, as George said, a simple good PDF reader on Android (which I need more than this app) is instead very hard to get.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Davide