[lug] Running a mixed Python environment

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Sep 16 14:58:43 MDT 2020

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 09:03:08 -0600
"Jed S. Baer" <blug at jbaer.cotse.net> wrote:

> The result of this is that when I first encountered Python, I
> wondered what level of indentation (and therefore logic) resulted
> from tabs vs. spaces, particularly if there is a mix in the leading
> whitespace.

I hope we all can agree that the mixing of tabs and spaces is a crime
against humanity. We shouldn't do it, and we should configure Vim not
to do it, and shame on Vim for doing it at all.

In a world where Vim has a way to make hard tabs look like 3 or 4
spaces, and external programs can do the same (or convert to 3 or 4
spaces), I don't see why tabs can't be used exclusively for indentation.

Or alternatively, Vim can be set to substitute 3 space or 4 spaces or
whatever on every press of the Tab key, for an all-spaces indentation.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive