[lug] Running a mixed Python environment

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Sep 16 18:21:16 MDT 2020

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 16:58:43 -0400
Steve Litt wrote:

> I hope we all can agree that the mixing of tabs and spaces is a crime
> against humanity. We shouldn't do it, and we should configure Vim not
> to do it, and shame on Vim for doing it at all.

Vim? Hey, what about Teco?

Anyways, back then, you could inherit a program that'd already been
modified by 3 or 4 folks who all had their own ideas about indentation and
formatting. Standards? What?

> In a world where Vim has a way to make hard tabs look like 3 or 4
> spaces, and external programs can do the same (or convert to 3 or 4
> spaces), I don't see why tabs can't be used exclusively for indentation.
>
> Or alternatively, Vim can be set to substitute 3 space or 4 spaces or
> whatever on every press of the Tab key, for an all-spaces indentation.

I'll argue that tabs have no place in source code. I suppose there are
worse things, e.g. writing VBA in MS-Word.

--
All operating systems suck, but Linux just sucks less
 - Linus Torvalds