[lug] Unhiding Ubuntu Accounts

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Nov 25 12:12:21 MST 2020

Hi,

I was given a new computer with Ubuntu 18.04. I renamed the account using actual recommended tools, which worked great. However, they had enabled auto login, and I then disabled that, but had to use command line tools (apparently X wouldn't run correctly because it was still trying to auto login the old name, and I had only text console).

I got auto login disabled, now the GUI is back, but the only name displayed is the old original name which no longer exists. Lots and lots and lots of URL searches show how to add a name to become hidden, but did not find one about unhiding what was hidden (I examined files trying to reverse but did not find it). Anyone know how to unhide a name so the X login shows it? Or possibly why the wrong old/previous name is still there?